Tyler Moore continued his hot spring, going 2 for 3 with a triple and home run and five RBIs to pace the Washington Nationals over N.L. East foe Atlanta Braves 9-8 in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
Moore hit a two-run homer off Braves starter Alex Wood in the second inning with Dan Uggla (1 for 2, run, RBI) aboard. In the fifth, Moore tripled to center off former Nats farmhand Juan Jaime, plating Tony Gwynn Jr and Emmanuel Burris.
The Nats got their winning run in the seventh when Matt Skole scored on a wild pitch by Arodys Vizcaino.
Freddie Freeman homered for the Braves off Craig Stammen in the fifth.
Jordan Zimmermann started for the Nationals and pitched two scoreless innings. He allowed a bloop single and walked one with no strikeouts.
- Taylor Jordan followed Zimmermann in his first action since being shut down last season with elbow discomfort and subsequent bone chips surgery last October. He gave up three earned runs on four hits. He didn’t walk anyone and struck out one.
- Stammen was hammered in his inning of work. The veteran reliever gave up a whopping five runs on eight hits.
- NRI invitee Rich Hill struck out two in 1 1/3 innings.
- Matt Grace, Even Meek and Manny Delcarmen all pitched a scoreless inning in relief.
- In addition to Moore, Kevin Frandsen and Ian Desmond both had two-hit days. Skole was 1 for 2 with a double and two runs scored.
- Sandy Leon was the DH and went 0 for 4.